Skip to content


    The Office of Insurance and Risk protects assets at Virginia Commonwealth University by:

    • Evaluating and maintaining schedules of exposure
    • Developing insurance policy specifications
    • Placing adequate insurance coverage
    • Managing claims
    • Advising the VCU Board of Visitors and university management on risk management issues

    University departments are responsible for identifying and preventing or otherwise mitigating risks and potential future losses. Faculty and staff should report any perceived risks they encounter on campus.

    For assistance accessing information related to our programs, please contact Steve Kessinger at

    Contact Travel Assist

    Toll free (within the U.S.): 1 (877) 244-6871
    Collect/reverse charge (outside the U.S.): +1 (715) 346-0859

    Travel resources

    Foreign Travel

    Travelers leasing a vehicle in a foreign country should always purchase the collision damage waiver and supplemental liability coverage offered by the rental car company. These coverages will facilitate claim handling in the event of an accident and are the only optional “coverages” offered by foreign leasing companies that will be reimbursed. The state's auto liability is excess over any valid and collectible primary auto liability insurance provided by a rental car company with a $2,000,000 per claim limit. See the complete Virginia Commonwealth University travel and reimbursement policies and procedures.

    For all faculty and staff:

    The comprehensive general liability coverage provided under the State Risk Management Plan protects faculty, staff and agents of the university while performing university authorized activities in foreign countries. It covers negligent acts and omissions that result in third-party liability claims for bodily injury and/or property damage. Personal conduct that is clearly outside of the scope of employment or authorization, including criminal acts are, not covered.

    For Study Abroad Program Directors concerning Liability Insurance Coverage:

    Faculty members who are program directors for study abroad and have complied with all of the VCU Office of Education Abroad, Global Education requirements for such programs are afforded the same liability coverage in a foreign country as they would have on campus. Faculty members are covered by the liability plan administered by the state Division of Risk Management for acts arising within the scope of their employment (meaning those acts undertaken as part of their jobs in furtherance of the educational objectives of the university, as opposed to their strictly personal conduct). Acts outside the scope of employment, or criminal in nature, are not covered.

    Employees and students are advised to contact their health care provider before traveling abroad to ensure they have coverage and to determine how to use their plan in the country they are traveling to.

    AIG Travel Assist provides emergency medical, natural disaster, and political evacuation services for those who travel on VCU and VCU Health System business outside of the United States. If you suffer a serious injury or illness while traveling on university business, AIG Travel Assist will coordinate your medically necessary emergency evacuation. AIG Travel Assist will also coordinate your emergency evacuation in the event of a natural disaster or political unrest when warranted by conditions in the host country. You will be covered for up to 365 consecutive days of authorized travel.

    VCU travelers have access to country-specific travel alerts on emerging situations, as well as information on how to stay healthy and safe while traveling abroad. To register and begin accessing this information, visit Review the Travel Assist Website User Guide for registration instructions. Our policy number is 9146660.

    General Liability

    General liability coverage is meant to protect against omissions or acts of negligence for which Virginia Commonwealth University or its employees and agents may be legally liable to pay due to bodily injury, personal injury or property damage to a third party.

    The policy covers VCU, its board, officers, employees, students (under certain circumstances) and agents while they are acting within the scope of their employment or authorized assigned duties under the direction of VCU, whether on or off campus.

    Coverage may not be provided to employees, students or agents of VCU if it is determined that liability was incurred by reason of:

    • Acts of fraud or dishonesty
    • Acts of intentional, malicious, or willful and wanton conduct
    • Criminal Acts

    An employee or agent of VCU who does not report an incident or otherwise does not cooperate in the defense of a claim also may not be covered or defended by the state.

    Note: All incidents that may lead to a liability claim should be reported on-line using the Incident Entry Portal. In the event of a serious incident, contact Insurance and Risk Management directly at (804) 828-4989 or (804) 828-7531.

    Follow the steps below to report a claim:

    1. Notify your supervisor.
    2. Complete an on-line incident report using the Incident Entry Portal. Include all pertinent information.

    You should make no statement as to liability or who is at fault.

    Property Insurance

    Property coverage is provided through the State Risk Management Plan and administered by the Division of Risk Management.


    The plan covers the following:

    • Buildings owned by Virginia Commonwealth University, including property VCU is responsible for insuring
    • Contents owned, leased, or in the care, custody and control of VCU, including fine arts and property in-transit or on exhibit
    • Business income and extra expenses, subject to the limits of the plan

    Personal belongings of employees and students that are lost, damaged or stolen while on VCU property are not covered by the plan, unless the personal property is damaged through the university’s negligence. To insure your personal property while at VCU, consider homeowners or renters insurance, as appropriate.

    Follow these steps to report a loss:

    1. Report stolen or vandalized property to VCU Police at (804) 828-1196.
    2. Immediately report property damage that poses a safety risk or risk of further damage to the Physical Plant Customer Care Center at (804) 828-9444.
    3. Complete an on-line report of damage to VCU property using the Incident Entry Portal. In the event of a significant loss, contact Insurance and Risk Management directly at (804) 828-4989 or (804) 828-7531.

    The state Division of Risk Management provides property insurance coverage through a plan comprising self-insurance and commercial insurance. The plan covers:

    • All state-owned buildings and contents, whether located on or off campus
    • Loss of business income due to an insured occurrence
    • Extra expenses used to expedite repairs, in certain circumstances

    Coverage applies anywhere in the world, with the exception of certain high-risk countries.

    The deductible for insurance coverage is $25,000 per occurrence. The department that incurs the loss is responsible for the deductible. After all work related to the loss is completed and fully documented — including proof of vendor payment — Insurance and Risk Management will submit a request for payment to the Division of Risk Management. At that time, the office may reduce the department’s deductible to $5,000, if funding is available.

    The deductible for a fine arts loss is $1,000, which is the responsibility of the department that incurs the loss.

    Vehicle Insurance

    Automobile liability, collision and comprehensive coverages are provided through the state’s self-insured Risk Management Plan. Coverage applies to both state-owned vehicles and commercially leased vehicles when they are used for authorized business purposes. Executive Order 89 requires that state-owned vehicles be used strictly for official business.

    Liability coverage is extended to the operator of a state-owned vehicle whose negligence results in bodily injury or property damage to a third party.

    VCU, its board members, officers, employees, students and agents are covered under the insurance plan while operating a state-owned or rental vehicle, provided they are acting within the scope of their employment, authorization or assigned duties.

    The limit of liability for individuals operating a state vehicle on Virginia Commonwealth University business is $2 million per claim.

    The state’s collision and comprehensive insurance plans are limited to the actual cash value of the damaged state vehicle. Comprehensive coverage includes loss from glass breakage, fire, theft and vandalism. The department that owns, rents or leases the vehicle is responsible for the $1,000 deductible.

    Personal vehicles are not covered by the plan, even if used by employees or students who are driving within the scope of their employment or assigned duties. In the event of an accident, the state’s Division of Risk Management may, at its discretion, assume liability for losses that exceed the vehicle owner’s personal policy limits.

    Changes to the fleet must be reported to Insurance and Risk so that physical damage and comprehensive coverage can be obtained or discontinued. New vehicles may not be driven until coverage is confirmed by Insurance and Risk Management. To report a new vehicle or report the sale or surplus of a vehicle, call (804) 827-0359 or (804) 828-4989.

    Drivers must be familiar with the Vehicle Accident Prevention and Safety Policy.

    Drivers are responsible for reporting any accident to law enforcement, their supervisor and the office of Insurance and Risk Management. The operator must also cooperate fully in the investigation and the defense of any claim or related suit. Failure to report an accident or cooperate may result in a denial of coverage. Individuals will not be covered for acts of intentional, malicious or wanton misconduct or criminal acts in the use of a vehicle.

    Cell phones and other electronic devices must be operated via a hands-free device when driving a state-owned or rented vehicle. Text messaging and emailing by the driver are strictly prohibited while the vehicle is in motion. This policy also applies to vehicles rented for VCU-approved travel.

    If you are involved in an accident while operating a state-owned vehicle or a vehicle rented for VCU business, follow these steps:

    1. While the vehicle is at the scene, call the state police or, if the accident occurs on campus, call VCU Police at (804) 828-1234.
    2. Notify your supervisor as soon as possible
    3. Do not make a statement of any kind to anyone other than a VCU employee, a law enforcement officer or a representative of the Division of Risk Management.
    4. An Automobile Incident Report should be in all state-owned vehicles for reporting an accident. Return the completed form to Insurance and Risk Management at P.O. Box 842501, Richmond, Va. 23284-3040 or fax to (804) 828-8510.

    VCU utilizes separate contracts with Enterprise Leasing Co. and Hertz Car Rental to provide nationwide vehicle rentals through these brands. Both contracts include a damage waiver which covers physical damage to the rental vehicle.

    To utilize these contracts and take advantage of this coverage, employees must use contract number 1917452 for a Hertz rental or contract number XZ21184 for Enterprise/National when making a reservation.

    Departments that choose to reserve a rental vehicle with a company other than Hertz or Enterprise/ National will be responsible for damages up to the $1,000 deductible under the state’s Lease Care plan in the event of an at-fault accident, or incidental damage to the vehicle during the rental period.

    Note: the damage waiver is a reimbursable expense for domestic rentals only when obtained through these contracts or when renting a vehicle in a foreign country. Go to Foreign Travel for more information.

    Driver Training

    Faculty, staff and students who operate a VCU vehicle on a regular basis are required to demonstrate their understanding of defensive driving principles by completing the university-approved defensive driving course. Driver training requirements are detailed in the Vehicle Accident Prevention and Safety Policy.

    In addition to the defensive driver training, anyone wishing to transport passengers in a 12 or 15 passenger van is also required to complete the university-approved van driving safety course and related behind-the-wheel training provided by VCU Police.

    Note: New drivers who have an acceptable motor vehicle record and meet all other driver qualifications are permitted to drive on an interim (30 day) basis, during which they must successfully complete the defensive driving course. However, no one is permitted to transport passengers in a 12 or 15 passenger van until all required training (defensive driving, van driving safety, and behind the wheel) is successfully completed.

    Drivers will be enrolled in the appropriate courses(s) by their department and will have 30 days from the date they begin a course to complete and pass the post-test with a score of 80 percent or better.

    • Defensive Driving Course (DDC) – course registration requires an access code that is unique to each department. Prospective drivers will receive information on enrolling in this 2 hour on-line course from their supervisor, designated department contact, or they can contact Insurance and Risk Management for assistance.
    DDC Login and Registration Instructions

    • Van Driver Safety – Insurance and Risk Management will register drivers for this course by request. Prospective van drivers will receive an email with course registration information and a link to the training website. Contact Monee Mosley at (804) 827-0359 or for assistance.
    • Behind the Wheel – This practical behind the wheel course is taught by VCU Police. The driver’s supervisor or department contact will schedule this training with VCU Police. For any questions regarding driver requirements or assistance with course enrollment, contact Monee Mosley at (804) 827-0359 or for assistance.

    Medical Malpractice

    Virginia Commonwealth University employees are covered under the commonwealth of Virginia’s self-funded Risk Management Plan for medical malpractice liability, while participating within the authorized scope of their employment.

    Students are also covered while participating in a clinical internship, externship or other educational program in order to meet the requirements of their course of study. This coverage extends to off-campus clinical situations that are authorized by VCU and are part of the student’s educational experience.

    Effective July 1, 2017, the limit of insurance for medical malpractice is $2.30 million. This coverage is on an occurrence basis without an aggregate limitation.

    Privacy Statement | View text version