SRM offers online and instructor-led safety training for workplace and research/clinical studies areas. Online safety training is available through two different applications: BioRAFT and Canvas
BioRAFT is VCU's central hub for laboratory safety and compliance. For people working in labs or supporting research activities, it is the first place to go to complete training. Canvas is the secondary application to complete training for courses that have not yet transitioned to BioRAFT.
Canvas online training is primarily for employees not working in labs or supporting research activities AND/OR for students whose professor designates a specific course as part of the student's curriculum. Canvas offers generalized training intended to supplement, not replace, task-specific training.
Provided by SRM subject-matter-experts, instructor-led training is customized to specific work area hazards and needs.
- Back safety/proper lifting
- Bloodborne pathogen (for non-laboratory and non-medical employees)
- Confined space entry awareness
- Control of hazardous energy (lock out/tag out)
- Electrical safety
- Fall protection
- Fire extinguisher
- Fire safety and prevention
- Hand and power tool safety
- Ladder safety
- Machine guarding
- Occupational heat exposure
- Occupational noise exposure
- Personal protective equipment
- Powered industrial trucks (forklift)
- Slips, trips and fall prevention
- Spill control, containment and countermeasures
For assistance accessing information related to our programs, please contact